More than 70,000 Palestinians have been killed during Israel’s military offensive in Gaza, according to figures released by the territory’s Hamas-run Ministry of Health.
Although a ceasefire has technically been in effect since 10 October, the death toll has continued to rise. Israel has carried out additional air strikes, saying they were launched in response to violations of the truce, while more bodies continue to be recovered from beneath collapsed buildings.
Among those reported killed on Saturday were two young brothers, Fadi and Juma Abu Assi, who Gaza officials say died in an Israeli drone strike. Their family said the boys had been gathering firewood when they were hit.
The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) told the BBC the strike targeted two individuals who had crossed the “yellow line,” the boundary Israel agreed to withdraw to under a US-brokered ceasefire more than seven weeks ago.
Media reports described the victims as an eight-year-old boy and his brother, aged 10 or 11. Relatives said the children were searching for firewood east of Khan Younis in southern Gaza at the time of the strike. Their funeral was held Saturday at Nasser Hospital.
The Gaza Ministry of Health’s casualty figures have been used widely throughout the conflict and are considered credible by the United Nations and other international bodies. Israel, however, has consistently challenged data issued by Gaza authorities.
Independent verification of casualty figures remains difficult. Israel continues to block international from independently entering Gaza.
According to the ministry, the Palestinian death toll now stands at 70,100, with more than 350 deaths recorded since the ceasefire began on 10 October.
Israel launched its offensive in Gaza following the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on 7 October 2023, during which about 1,200 people were killed and 251 others taken hostage.




